New Exhibition Opens: Air Works
Celebrate the opening of the Montshire's spring exhibition, Air Works — featuring interactive exhibits and specially-designed tinkering and making activities that will help flex engineering muscles, strengthen the understanding of core scientific concepts, and spark the imaginations of all ages.
Air Works will offer an array of hands-on learning experiences that will consist of ten exhibits and four different tinkering activities. While the exhibits will include some classic Montshire favorites, such as Sailboats, it will have numerous newly created hands-on experiences.
For example, visitors can:
- Send objects through a two-story, three-dimensional maze by controlling the flow of air from one location to another.
- Experiment with air lift by testing items of varying materials and weights on a hover table.
- Examine cause and effect through inflation and deflation by using an air-powered chain reaction machine.
- Elevate the simple activity of making paper airplanes to an intensive science project. The paper airplane station will provide builders a selection of designs to recreate, a runway to test the dynamics and capabilities of their finished products, and even a motorized airplane launcher.
This special day will offer activities around the Museum in celebration of the new exhibition. From the experiments in the Science Discovery Lab to the lessons in the Classroom, it will be a day full of learning and exploration.
Schedule of Activities
- 10:30-12:30 – Wind Vehicles (Classroom): Construct a contraption that harnesses the power of wind to move
- 11:00-12:00 – Straw Rockets (Science Discovery Lab): Play with air pressure as you make a miniature toy rocket.
- 12:30-1:30 – Gliders (Science Discovery Lab): Coast through the sky (err…museum) on paper hoops and see how long your craft can stay aloft.
- 2:00-3:00 – Parachutes (Science Discovery Lab): Build a miniature parachute to investigate how air resistance can work to slow a falling object.
- 3:30-4:30 – Kites (Science Discovery Lab): Construct a homemade kite and take it outside to see how it flies.
- 2:00-4:00 – Stomp Rockets (Patio in David Goudy Science Park): Crunch! Using air forced out of a bottle, see how high you can get your paper rocket to soar.
On Friday, April 13, Montshire Unleashed, the museum’s evening for adults, will host an opening night preview, giving grown-ups a chance to engage with the new exhibits on the eve of the exhibition opening.