Press Contact: Trish Palao, Marketing and Communications Manager
Montshire Museum of Science, One Montshire Road, Norwich, VT 05055
802-649-2200 x222 | email@example.com
Montshire Museum of Science announces new partnership with the Hanover Garden Club
Dec 20, 2016
For Immediate Release
Beginning Tuesday, January 3 the Montshire will host a monthly series of five programs offered and organized by the Hanover Garden Club. The programs, held in the Museum’s Porter Community Room, begin at 1 p.m., are open to the public at no charge.
2017 Program themes include:
- January 3: Beekeeping— Learn how a beekeeper manages 200 colonies for honey production without the use of any chemical treatments for Varroa mites.
- February 7: Gardens of Scotland and France— Learn about two gardens from opposite ends of the spectrum: Little Sparta (Scotland) and The Secret Gardens (France)
- March 7: Spring wildflowers— Spring ephemeral wildflowers bloom quickly and seed before the canopy of trees overhead leaf out. Learn more about these wildflowers and how they spread.
- April: 4: Hydrangeas— This fascinating program will include a review of the major species of hydrangeas including those of merit for the Upper Valley.
- May 2: Container plantings— This informative program will provide ideas for combining a variety of plants for your containers.
As part of the partnership, the Hanover Garden Club will be supporting a 14-week horticultural intern in 2017 to work with Montshire’s landscape designer and horticulturist to support native plant and natural landscaping projects and exhibits on the Montshire grounds. The internship is designed to advance the education and career of a horticulture student, gardener, or landscape designer
“This partnership allows us to expand educational opportunities and programs that focus on sustainability and gardening issues specific to the Upper Valley,” said Sandra Johnson, current President of The Hanover Garden Club.
“The Hanover Garden Club has a long history of educating people about environmental stewardship and helping people connect with gardening as well as our natural habitat through their monthly programs,” says Montshire’s Director of Education Greg DeFrancis. “We hope to continue to expand people’s awareness of the natural world through programs and exhibits, indoors and out and we are delighted to collaborate with HGC to provide these programs at the Montshire.
About the Hanover Garden Club
Members of the Hanover Garden Club have come together since 1936 to promote knowledge and a love of gardening, to fund and plant the town gardens in Hanover, and to educate residents on conservation issues in this corner of northern New England. The Garden Club nourishes members’ appetites for growing and designing with plant material, with membership open to all residents of the Upper Valley.
About the Montshire Museum of Science
The Montshire Museum of Science in Norwich, Vermont, is a hands-on interactive science museum located on 100 acres, with more than 125 exhibits on nature, technology, astronomy, and the physical sciences. Visiting exhibitions, educational programs, and special events are offered throughout the year. The Museum’s outdoor landscape includes the Woodland Garden, trails, David Goudy Science Park, and outdoor exhibits. Open daily from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed Thanksgiving and Christmas).