Studies show that science museums are critically important elements of our educational infrastructure. People who are disadvantaged economically are less likely to have access to opportunities found in museums, which substantially undermines their learning and chances for school success.
The Montshire is committed to ensuring that the meaningful experiences we offer are accessible to disadvantaged children and families. We address this challenge through a series of specific programs (described below), and by offering Museum admission and education programs at fees that are set below the actual cost.
• Free Admission: The Montshire Museum partners with more than 110 human service agencies in Vermont and New Hampshire to provide free Museum admission to their clients. Over 3,000 people take advantage of this opportunity each year. Email us for an application to add your agency to this program.
• Scholarships: The Montshire actively raises scholarship funds to ensure that low-income children can participate in Summer Camp and other educational programs. Many scholarship recipients are referred through our agency partners; others apply directly to the Museum for support.
• Special Fees for Schools: For nearly 10 months of every year, K-12 schools are the Montshire’s strongest link to our region’s children. To ensure that all schools have affordable access to the Museum, we have established specially reduced rates for school groups that are just 56% of the actual cost. And for four weeks each winter, underfunded schools can take advantage of the opportunity to visit the Museum for just $1 per student.
• Free Memberships: In cases where free admission passes are not appropriate, the Montshire issues complimentary memberships to families in need.
• Support for Other Nonprofits: As another way to strengthen our community, the Montshire provides support and Museum access to other charitable organizations. We offer complimentary use of our program room for educational purposes, and free admission passes for special events and fundraising activities.
Charitable gifts are essential to making these programs possible. Funding for the Warm Welcome program comes from:
• Donor-level memberships and unrestricted annual gifts
• Designated gifts and grants
• Auction “Fund a Need” donations
• Montshire Access Fund—a special fund within Montshire’s endowment
• Keller Family Fund for Special Needs
Make a gift today to support the Warm Welcome program.