Preparing for Your Visit
Before Your Visit to the Montshire
- We require one chaperone for every 8 students.
- Fill out the Chaperone Information Page to give to each chaperone a copy before leaving on the field trip.
- Make sure chaperones are aware of the schedule and their responsibilities in supervising children.
- Review behavioral expectations with students.
- Nametags: Provide nametags for students and accompanying adults to wear during their visit with a first name and your school’s name.
- Students must have a chaperone with them to visit the store. Vermont has a 6% sales tax.
- Please do not wait until the last 15 minutes prior to leaving the museum to have all the children shop. Chaperones should stagger their group’s time in the store. If requested, museum staff will provide a large bag for all purchases so children do not need carry bags throughout the museum.
- Students must bring their own lunch. We have no food service.
- The Montshire does not have guaranteed indoor eating spaces. Please plan on eating outside or on the bus. The Hughes Pavilion in Science Park provides a covered picnic area. Based on Museum scheduling constraints, the Community Room is periodically opened to Museum visitors for lunch. If available, you will be notified upon your arrival.
- If you need to make any changes in your reservation (time of arrival, number of participants), please call the Museum at 802-649-2200.
- Prepare a single check for all visitors in your group (adult and children) made out to Montshire Museum of Science. Mastercard and Visa are also accepted. The admission desk staff will ask for a final head count when you arrive. Individuals paying separately will be charged the full admission rate.
- Museum members who bring a copy of their membership card are admitted free for a regular visit. Free admission does not apply for visits that include a workshop.
When You Arrive at the Montshire
- Checking in: Have the bus driver follow signs in the parking lot to the bus drop off area. While the students wait on the bus, the group leader should check in at the Admission Desk; other teachers and chaperones should remain on the bus with the students.
- Greeting: A Museum Explainer will greet students on the bus (or if you arrived by car, outside the museum) to review expectations and highlight special events and exhibits currently at the Museum. After the greeting, your group is ready to enter the Museum.
- Bus parking: Bus parking is at the far end of the parking lot. Bus drivers may enter the museum for free.
During Your Visit
- Museum Explainers wearing blue Montshire aprons will be on hand throughout your visit to help students use the exhibits and to provide informal programs. Our Explainers enjoy working with students and can answer informal questions, though they do not provide guided tours.
- Outdoor Spaces: Science Park includes exhibits on water, sound, natural history and daytime astronomy. There is also a series of nature trails that vary in distance. (Note: The water features in the Science Park are seasonal and weather dependent; generally available early-May through mid-October. Please have students dress accordingly as they can get wet).
Expectations for All Visitors
- Have fun exploring and experimenting.
- Treat the exhibits and other visitors with respect.
- Walk while indoors.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch outside, but please, no food in the indoor exhibit areas.
- Recognize that our visitors range in age from babies to grandparents, and they all want to explore our exhibits in a safe environment.
- Share your discoveries with a friend and help each other enjoy the Museum.
- Thank you for choosing the Montshire as a destination for your group!
Museum's Photo Policy
Museum personnel may photograph members of your group during their visit for use on our website and other electronic and print promotional and communication materials. If you or your students do not wish to be photographed, please inform a member of the Museum's staff.